September 10, 2008

The Letter by Ernst Haas

Ernst Haas (1921-1986)
Letter To Wilson Hicks Editor of Life Magazine, November 1949

”There are two kinds of photographers – the ones who take pictures for a magazine to earn something, and the others who gain by taking pictures they are interested in. I am the second kind. I don’t believe in the in-between success of becoming famous as quickly as possible. I believe in the end success of a man’s work as developing into a real human being, aware of the connection in life between earth and the cosmos; a person able to understand the mistakes, and to admire the achievements, of other people.I have always felt better taking a risk than an easier route for what I believe in. I am young enough to do that, and I am full of energy and hope to reach my goal. I prefer to be noticed, someday, first for my ideas and second for my good eye. Maybe you will think I have not got my two feet quite on the ground, but if a photographer wants to show an overall view, he must find a point higher up. What I want is to stay free, so I can carry out my ideas. I don’t think there are many editors who can give me the assignments I give myself.”

No comments: